Re: debian/rules and wrong run-time library

Andreas,

First, let me say thank you for spending time on both answering my newbie
questions, and for taking the time to download and test out the package.
You have been a huge help.

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 07:33:52PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> > http://swish-e.org -> Download and get the 2.4.0-pr1 package.  Unpack and
> > build with debian/rules binary, of course.
>
> You have to remove the '#' in front of dh_makeshlibs in debian/rules
> to generate a shlibs file the new library.

Ok, dh_make setup my rules file that way -- probably because I said
I was building a binary.

But that does seem to solve the warning messages.  dh_shlibdeps does still
warn:

  dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libswish-e.so.2

but that can be suppressed, as you suggested, by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
with:

  dh_shlibdeps -ldebian/swish-e/usr/lib

and the debian/swish-e/DEBIAN/shlibs file created by dh_makeshlibs makes
dpkg-shlibdeps happy when trying to find dependencies for libswish-e.

It's interesting (to me) that I tried creating a shlibs.local file early on
in my attempt to fix the warning messages.  Perhaps I didn't not create the
file correctly.  Oh well.

Will dh_makeshlibs provide the shlibs file for the package?  That is will it
generate a /var/lib/dpkg/info/swish-e.shlibs file?

> Some other items:
> * Your build-dependencies are incorrect, you use dh_compat level 4
>   and therefore need Build-depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.1).

Oh, thanks for that catch.  (cut-n-paste error, no doubt).

> * Is there a reason why you don't split packages (swish-e, libswish-e2,
>   libswish-e-dev)? Hasn't the library interface stabilized yet?
>   Otherwise you should *really* do it.

The library interface is new, yes.  You are correct that would be the right
thing to do.  Frankly, I wanted to provide a single package that could be
built from the source distribution. And that's what dh_make did for me
automatically.

For installing from the Debian package archive it would be good to have
three packages.  I'll need to read more to understand how to make three
packages.

> * Perl stuff. Should the modules be publically accessible in perl's
>   stdinc below /usr/lib/perl5/... ?

Good question.  The answer was that the Perl modules are helper modules for
scripts that are part of the distribution.  It's unlikely that they would
have any use outside of swish.  Second, I was not sure how to get Automake
to determine the correct location to install them in @INC.

Again, thanks very much for your help.

--
Bill Moseley