webCDwriter: Building with non-free tools; DFSG-conforming?. Dependencies vs Suggestions

Following a suggestion from my sponsor, i place this question so that you can point me in the righ direction.

( a bit long, sorry )

I have packaged webCDwriter [ http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter ] ( and updated three upstream versions since I started! :-| )
Package names: webcdwriter, cdrecord

Apart from some minor tweaking ( including, maybe, splitting further into an arch-independent package -- webcdcreator ) in the packaging and maybe working around some "limitations" (bugs?) in the upstream sources, it is mostly finished [ latest version usually available at deb(-src) http://devel.adv-solutions.net/debian (un)stable main ].

However, I have a little problem:
- The package contains a couple Java applets

- jdk is in non-free ( therefore, the package belongs in "contrib" [according to Policy], where it is classified by my 'control' file )

- upstream provides pre-compiled and pre-signed JARs, which are used if a working JavaC is not found.

The question is:
- Is jdk a *real* build-dependency ?
( it is currently listed as "Build-Recommends" [ i know that is a non-existent tag, BTW ]

- Will the autobuilders/build-daemons install javac ?

- Shall I really force the building process, considering they are arch-independent ? Can I not simply use the upstream-supplied JARs ?
( Source Code for everything is provided [of course!], licensed under GPL2 )

And more important: which is the rationale behind the decision? ( so that i can decide by myself in the future ;) ).
Which are the sections of Policy, Developer's Reference, etc applicable here?
Shall I ask an changes from upstream?

As a side note: the "main" program will not work ( performs runtime checks against this ) if certain versions of *mpg123* ( mpg321 will not produce correct results ), vorbis-tools, cdrdao, dvd+rw-tools aren't installed. However, there are configuration variables which control their usage ( so that they are effectively not used if configured that way ).

From a correctness point of view, I have marked theses packages as "suggested" and acted in that way in the 'config' scripts. Shall I work on source patches which enforce this "correct" bahaviour and submit them upstream ( even though that delays the release process ) or else mark them as dependencies and forget about it, at least until a future date / upstream revision ?

Any pointers, comments, suggestions, whatever appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
	J.L.