Re: [OT] OS Design Book Recommendations

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Barry deFreese wrote:

> I was wondering since you were all so helpful about my earlier
> programming questions if you wouldn't mind a question about Operating
> System books.  I am currently considering the following:
>
> Operating System Concepts - 6th Edition     Abraham Silberschatz, et al.
>  Mentioned often but not reviewed that highly

If this is the one I'm thinking of (Galvin is the other author, right, with
dinosaurs on the cover?) I used it for my intro to OS course.  Not bad on
the general concepts part - describes all the usual algorithms in fair
detail and quite clearly - but I thought their review of a couple of OSen
needed some serious work.  I had the 4th ed. (I think) so maybe they cleaned
that bit up since then.

> Modern Operating Systems - 2nd Edition     Andrew Tanenbaum.  Well reviewed.

Tanenbaum is a leading author in the field (as well as network theory).  I
wouldn't discount this book in a hurry.  Does it have the OS reviews in it,
though?

> Applied Operating System Concepts   Abraham Siblerschatz, et al.

This might have more of the practical stuff you're after.  Dunno, never read
it.

HTH.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence