NM-wannabe: dpkg hangs on launching daemon

Hi all fellow Debian users! ( just subscribed )

Wanting to become a Debian Developer, i took the 'challenge' from the WNPP list to package WebCDwriter [ http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/ ].

Now, sometime later, I have the package mostly finished, including:
	- Two binary packages, client and server
	- Did missing manpages
	- Moved executable content from /etc/ to /usr/share, where it belongs
	- Confined daemon to /var/tmp ( instead of /home/cdwserver ! )
	- Moved documentation to /usr/share/doc, where it belongs
	- Debconfig-fied installation
	- "MrProper" purge from postinst

I just have a problem somewhere:
When the postinst script launches the daemon ( by means of /etc/init.d/webcdwriter ), dpkg just 'hangs', waiting for the daemon. If I kill the CDWserver daemon from another console ( 'killall CDWserver' ), dpkg finishes installing the package succesfully. Once i start the daemon manually through /etc/init.d/webcdwriter, everything works as expected.

Having read that Debconf's frontends wait for the closing of descriptors from children, I patched the daemon's code so that it close()s fds 0 thru 7 and setsid()s after the fork(), to try to ensure it works. This did nothing to improve the situation.

I have previously asked both my sponsors, and none seem to have any ideas. One of them suggested I ask here so.... Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? I will be building a source package [ i had just built binary packages till now ], so that you can take a look if interested.

I can provide more details, source packages, patches and additional info on request -- just ask for it!

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
	J.L.