Re: search/get bug database, rc bugs excuses, closing bugs

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:39:34 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:19:54PM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > Where might I get a copy of the bug database? Is there any way to search
> > the bug database by text?
>
> Sorry, not yet, unless you have an account on master to poke around
> inside /org/bugs.debian.org/spool.

Would all the BTS available bugs be there? Would anything else be there?

[...]
> > that release worthy (X.XrX+1) bugs should remain open until all the Debian
> > distributions have the bug fixed. I think the distribution tags were
[...]
> They were created more as a hack for release-critical bugs than anything
> else, IMHO. For non-RC bugs I wouldn't worry about them. The real
> solution is proper version tracking, as ever.

I said "release worthy" in case the term RC missed anything. Is there a
draft document talking about proper verion tracking for Debian yet? Sorry
to poke, but I'm curious. I've done quite a bit of research into BTS's,
trouble ticket systems, contact managers, issue tracking systems... I
haven't seen any authorative opensource solutions, just conventionally used
programs like sourceforge (& derivatives) and bugzilla (gnats isn't really
used much from what I've seen). I'd enjoy contributing to a Debian BTS
rewrite.

> It's fairly simple: if a bug needs to be fixed in more than one
> distribution then the maintainer should leave it open (possibly with
> tags) until it has been fixed in all those distributions. Otherwise it
> is left up to the maintainer's discretion to close it appropriately.
> Common sense ought to apply.

I agree, I just wish it said somewhere. I also wonder about
proposed-updates? Should a bug remain open until the package makes it into
a stable release? Perhaps the "fixed" tag should be used when a package is
fixed in proposed-updates, but not yet in a stable release.

Can I quote you on this issue of when to close bugs?

     Drew Daniels
PS: I have not subscribed and would appreciate getting a cc reply to this
message.