Re: Library documentation

Hi Dale,

Dale Hawkins wrote:
> 1.  I want to write a decent manpage for it.  I plan to use the sgml
>     format.  I would like to find a good example of documenting a
>     library using said format.  Any suggestions?

Formatwise, the example from dh_make might be worth looking at. Contentwile you
might want to check out /usr/share/man/*/lib*. man libpng seems to illustrate
some of the options along with some of the weaknesses.

> 2.  I have been wrestling with doxygen documentation for the library.
>     What is the best way to install such documentation (automake rules
>     and debian control/rules suggestions are what I am looking for).
Because I did not want to change upstream's config file, I've done the following
in the install target:
HTML_OUTPUT="debian/$(LIBCHIPCARD_DOC_PKGNAME)/usr/share/doc/$(LIBCHIPCARD_PKGNAME)/html";\
mkdir -p $$HTML_OUTPUT ; \
echo -e HAVE_DOT=NO\\nGENERATE_MAN=NO\\n\
        HTML_OUTPUT=$$HTML_OUTPUT\\n\
        GENERATE_TAGFILE=$$HTML_OUTPUT/libchipcard.tag\
        | cat Doxyfile -  | doxygen -
You probably can avoid much if not all of the uglyness if you have control over
Doxyfile. (And of course, if people complain about me being way off, I can fix
my package.) Note that especially a dependency on (non-free) graphviz for using
"dot" is not allowed in main.
This is taken from libchipcard, currently in the new packages queue or at [1].

Cheers

T.

1. http://vman.de/chipcard/sid/