Packaging Perl programs

Hello:

After getting tired of doing multiple installs of data analysis programs
on multiple machines, I am trying to make some local Debian packages of
software that I use regularly in my research lab.

I have more or less successfully packages a program which is mostly C and
FORTRAN by following the New Maintainers Guide.  I am running into
problems with those programs which are Perl based.  When I run dh_make in
the source directory, I get the error message:

Source archive you specified was not found!

Is there a simple way to generate the contents of debian/ for such
programs or is the best thing to do to look at similar package and copy
and modify the control files?

Thanks,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Associate Dean for Research, Armour College