Re: In search of mentor...

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:51:04AM -0800, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> I appreciate the response.  However, it brings up two questions.  I
> went through the list of packages last night.  A. How do I determine
> if anyone even gives a rip about the package any longer?  ( I noticed
> many of the bug reports are well over a year old ).  and

send a message to the bug number <nnnnn@bugs.debian.org> and the
submitter of the original bug to see if they still have the problem with
the latest version of the package.

a good way to see which packages are still being used is the popularity
contest [1].

> B. How do I select something that isn't going to be way over my head
> from the start?  (Remember I'm pretty much still a newbie).  Any
> pointers?

this might be difficult to do. id say just try something, and if it is
too difficult, ask for help, or move on to something else.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~apenwarr/popcon/

--
gram