using lpr to a network laser printer using tcp

Hello,

I am a software developer, who is porting my software to Linux.

When I use KDE interface to setup the a printer under Caldera 3.1

I select      TCP
                  IP 192.168.20.89
                  PORT 9100
                   RAW   (No driver)

I can use the command line lpr interface and it works fine.

When conifugring with KDE in Debian version"Woody"

I first select type printer lpr

I select      TCP
                  IP 192.168.20.89
                  PORT 9100
                   RAW   (No driver)

It will not let me save the configuration say "Backend not supported socket"

if I select type printer cuts

I select      TCP
                  IP 192.168.20.89
                  PORT 9100
                   RAW   (No driver)

It lets me save the configuration, but when I run

lpr -Plaser89

I get the message "Unknown printer"   even though the  printer is plainly there when
using the lpstat -t

Help.   How can I print to this printer from the command line.   I don't have to use
lpr but I do need to use a spooler.

Sincerely

Clare   Jarvis

jarvis@jarviscomputer.com