Re: package versioning

I maintain chktex which got to a similar situation where some "upstream"
work was done in the Debian diff. At some point, I tried to locate
upstream again and couldn't. What I did is open a project in
savannah.gnu.org to maintain the software "upstream" there.

There is no announcing that you need to do IMO, you just start to
maintain it yourself, I'd suggest providing a place to get upstream
updates for others outside of Debian and package that for Debian.

In my case I also created a FreshMeat entry and uploaded chktex to CTAN,
only because these are the likely places for others to search for such a
program.

I did a similar thing with websec but there upstream exists but decided
not to maintain the software anymore, I contacted him and asked for
permission (though I could do it without permission too, it's GPL). And
again I opened a project on Savannah for it.

If in your case, upstream is not active anymore, try to contact him. And
if he is unreachable or says that he no longer maintains the software,
just start maintaining it as upstream author and set version numbers as
you see fit.

Baruch

* Michael Moerz <mikem@natoka.dyndns.org> [030112 16:13]:

--