Re: debian packages: single diff vs multiple patches (as in rpm)

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 05:56:33PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> wrote:
> It is also not uncommon to make an orig.tar.gz of (possibly multiple)
> upstream tarballs by putting them in a directory and tarring that.
 Ofcourse you mean tar+gzip that, as orig is always tar.gz; alhough I
think it's quite unefficient to have upstream source in tar.bz2 in some
dir, and tar.gz it into orig.tar.gz ... Sometimes I feel that it would
be better to utilize source mirrors. I mean Debian ftp servers would
carry the diff.gz+dsc files, but not the package source (orig.tar.gz) -
instead a mirror list for that source should be maintained, and
automagically downloaded by 'apt-get source' from the first available.

Cheers,
GCS