Re: RFS [2]: naim - a console, ncurses AIM, ICQ, and lily client

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:49:22PM -0500, Greg Leffler wrote:
> I have tried it on several different i386 machines and have not been
> able to find any errors.
>
> Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I can't upload your packages (yet) as i'm still awaiting DAMnation,
but I can offer you some comments. Fair deal? :)

The binary package is very solid, especially for a first try. So that's
all good. However, I have a few gripes about your frobbing with the
source.

You've edited the configure script directly. However, these changes
don't seem to make a difference because they are overriden by the
arguments you pass to configure. So I don't think it matters. If it
does make a difference, it's a big autoconf bug.

Also, you have some weird quoting in debian/rules:

CFLAGS = "-Wall -g

ifneq (,$(findstring noopt,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
        CFLAGS += -O0"
else
        CFLAGS += -O2"
endif

I see where you're coming from on this, but just don't worry about
quotes. This is a Makefile. Hence this would work just fine:

CFLAGS = -Wall -g

ifneq (,$(findstring noopt,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
        CFLAGS += -O0
else
        CFLAGS += -O2
endif

Also, on the off chance that you've been reading debian-devel-announce,
Peter Palfrader[1] has informed everyone that people should be including a
full GPL blurb in debian/copyright if the software is indeed GPL.

Otherwise, this looks like it's really ready for prime time.

Note, if you intend to become a DD, you should get ready for the NM
process by reading up on Policy and Developer's Reference, and get
some signatures on your GnuPG key (which appears to be 01374F66) from a
Debian developer in your area [2].

Hope this helps.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200312/msg00007.html
[2] http://nm.debian.org/gpg_offer.php