Re: Removal of user-edited configuration files?

Frank Lichtenheld <frank@lichtenheld.de> schrieb:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:09:37AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> So is it then required that a package check wether the configuration
>> file it is about to remove still looks like the one it once created -
>> perhaps with small user changes? It might be that the file it created
>> now is called package-orig.wrongextension and $progname.conf has been
>> created by the user from scratch.
>
> If someone requests to "purge" a package, he doesn't want this. He asked
> you to remove anything you brought with you from his system. So why
> check if he modified the configuration file? If he would care about the
> changes he could have used "remove".

Consequently I should remove the whole directory /etc/$progname/,
irrespective wether there are still files in there? Or, if not, what is
the difference between foo.cfg and bar.cfg, despite the fact that a long
time ago the package created a file with the name foo.cfg, but not
bar.cfg?

I'm thinking about stuff like /etc/$progname/$prog.d/10start.$ext, or of
files in /etc/netenv/: The program offers a dialog box where the user
can choose between the settings in any file /etc/netenv/`uname
-n`-*. Should I only delete the first file generated by maintainer
scripts, namely /etc/netenv/`uname-n`, or also the others? Of course I
may not delete files from other packages.

Thanks, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie