Re: symlinks between two packages

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:23:32PM +0100, Nicolas Rueff wrote:
> I'm attempting to become DD, so I'm currently packaging some software.
> One of this software must be packaged in two parts: one for the client
> part (tty/console), one for the X frontend, so the X frontend package
> depends on the client package.

> My problem is that the README and changelog files are the same for both,
> so instead of install 2 times the same files. I attempt to make
> symlinks from README and changelog from the X frontend package to those
> from the client package, which seems correct since the X frontend
> package depends on the client package, so they will never be dead links.
> But lintian tells me that the README and changelog files from the X
> frontend package are zero-sized, which is quite normal since the links
> are broken while they are not installed.

> So should I install the same version for the two packages, or rely on
> symlinks, ignoring lintians's errors ?

The easy way around that is to make the complete directory
/usr/share/doc/xfrontend a symlink to /usr/share/doc/client-part
(policy 12.3).

If you don't want to do that a bugreport against lintian (and linda
too, if the bug applies) might be called for. I did this myself some
months ago (#181899 and #181900), the bugs where supposed to be fixed
but I did not do my home-work and doublecheck that. - Sorry.
             cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"