Re: config.sub and config.guess | .diff.gz bloat

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 18:36, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:53:48AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > debhelper puts the following into the "clean" rule in debian/rules:
> >
> > ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.sub)" ""
> > 	cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> > endif
> > ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.guess)" ""
> > 	cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
> > endif
> >
> > Three questions:
> > - why are these two files copied in?
> > - are they necessary for the build of the program I am packaging?
> > - they make my .diff.gz file twice their otherwise size; can I delete
> > that entry from my rules file altogether, or otherwise remove them from
> > the output?
>
> Three days ago there was
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2003/debian-mentors-200311/msg00030.html
> with these lines:
>
> | Or just copy in updated config.guess and config.sub files manually each
> | time it becomes necessary; that way you might also remember to tell
> | upstream that they should update their copies, which is something a good
> | Debian maintainer should be doing.

(Yes, I hadn't read that thread - thanks.) However, I'm still unsure
whether these (I assume _yes_ at this point)  confusion came from the
fact that the upstream source does not have these files at all.

This response in this thread:
On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 13:58, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Anyway, whatever you do, you are to keep these files up-to-date.
> See the autotools-dev readme file.

doesn't actually say if I must have these files - only that I must
keep them up to date. This command:

$ find /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/ -type f|xargs grep -in autotools

gives me no output.

tia
zen