debian/rules not running ./configure

I'm trying to create my first package, and don't know what to do to get
debian/rules to run ./configure. Eg:

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is fastdep
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.15-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Zenaan Harkness
<zen@iptaustralia.net>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
# HELP/TODO: Need command to go into doc/ subdir and run clean,
distclean
/usr/bin/make distclean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zen/src/fastdep/fastdep-0.15'
Makefile:3: config/config.me: No such file or directory
You must run ./configure first to create config/config.me.
Use ./configure --help to get information on how to guide the
configuration.
The make process will now exit with an error.
make[1]: *** [config/config.me] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zen/src/fastdep/fastdep-0.15'
make: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b fastdep-0.15
dpkg-source: building fastdep using existing fastdep_0.15.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building fastdep in fastdep_0.15-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to doc/index.html:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to config/a.out: binary file
contents changed
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to debian/.rules.swp: binary file
contents changed
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to Makefile.deb-install:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file doc/fastdep.html
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file doc/fastdep.pdf
dpkg-source: building fastdep in fastdep_0.15-1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

$ fakeroot debian/rules configure
make: Nothing to be done for `configure'.

$ touch configure

$ fakeroot debian/rules configure
make: Nothing to be done for `configure'.

We see that the fastdep package's config/config.me file is not being
created. When I manually run ./configure, this file is created. But then
dpkg-buildpackage doesn't seem to run make. Is the line

	$(MAKE)

in the example rules file supposed to run the 'make' command?

I am not that familiar with make. Perhaps a little ironic since I'm
packaging fastdep, but I am also teaching myself some C++, and since I
come from years of Java background, I miss having a simple
hierarchical-directory build process that readily scales to large
projects.

TIA
Zen