Re: Managing Debian packages with Subversion

Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> I prefer an alternate structure where you start with the project as a
> top level.  This keeps all project (package) related files under one
> directory in the project:
>
>    project/
>       trunk/
>       branches/
>       tags/
>       vendor/

The only problem with this is that if you maintain N packages, and you
presumably set up svn:externals pulling in all N, so you can update your
whole source tree with one svn up, then subversion will currently open n
connections to your server. Due to some bugs it will keep all N
connections open until it's done with the whole update. If you use
subversion over ssh, this is pretty bad. I have successfully fork bombed
my server with subversion. (N was 40 or so.)

Not to mention all the other limitations of svn:externals. It's fine if
you're only maintaining a few packages I guess.

> Either way, I suggest the addition of a vendor/ directory to track
> differences in upstream versions.  The reason for this will be clear
> (see below).

Vendor is just a branch so I don't understand why it should be kept
separate. I use branches/package/upstream for this, and put vendor tags
in tags/package/upstream_revision_x.y. I am considering changing the
latter, which is derived from what cvs2svn does to old cvs-buildpackage
managed repositories, to something like tags/package/upstream/x.y

--
see shy jo