Re: backing up/replacing files from another package

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 04:36:22PM -0700, Eric Winger wrote:
> The question, basically is this: "How does one have a .deb package which
> replaces/overwrites files from another package (in this case a
> dependency)?"
>
> The specific example is this. We want to use autofs. For our turnkey
> systems, we want to have our own little package, that "configures" the
> autofs configuration a certain way. So we build this package, and cause
> it to depend on autofs. Then, we want to replace the versions of
> /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.misc that were supplied by the original
> autofs pacakge, and restart autofs.
[...]

Afaik you cannot do that. Script-magic in preinst/postinst will fail
you when autofs is updated (configuration file /etc/auto.master
modified, install new version or keep original one?) and dpkg-divert
does not work with conffiles.
            cu andreas