Re: ports attempted despite architecture?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:08:48PM +0200, Keith Dunwoody wrote:
> Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
> >Are ports attempted on all packages, or is the Architecture field in
> >debian/control taken into account?
> >
> >The reason why I ask is that I maintain the python-psyco package, which
> >supports only i386, and the buildd logs [1] say that attempts have been
> >made to build the package on other archs. I event got a FTBFS bug
> >report. I'm not sure of how I should handle this bug, btw.
> >
> >[1] http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=psyco
> >

> Did you actually check the buildd output?  At least for the arm buildlog it
> looks like the package builds correctly, but then fails when it checks to
> see if the build architecture is on your arch list.

gcc fails on alpha [1] and ia64[2]. But just having the package build on other
archs won't make it a working package. Psyco is a JIT compiler for
python, and it works by producing machine bytecode. Unless arm machines
are able to execute i386 bytecode, I would expect using psyco on such a
machine to SIGSEGV quite quickly.

I'm pretty sure I used the correct Architecture field. If the autobuilders
attempt to build all packages and only afterwards check that the Architecture
field is correct, I think this is the wrong way to handle porting, but
I basically cannot anything about it. Otoh, if the Architecture field I
specified was somehow changed without me knowing, I think it's quite rude.

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=psyco&ver=1.0-1&arch=alpha&stamp=1061712917&file=log&as=raw
[2] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=psyco&ver=1.0-1&arch=ia64&stamp=1061711830&file=log&as=raw

--
Alexandre Fayolle