config & postinst

Hi all,

I am preparing new Debian packages for CMS Midgard.
My idea is to let users manage with their databases and hosts
with debconf and dpkg instead of writing one config and postinst
for setup and updates and another one tools for managing existing
ones in a future. So simply I would like to use dpkg-reconfigure "package"
for database and hosts managing.
The problem I have is that I try to reset every asked question with every
"reconfigure" parameter passed to scripts. So in practice it will mean that
every question will be asked twice....

So.

1. Move all scripts to postinst and forget about config, which is not recommended?

2. Use debconf and my scripts "outside" the config and postinst. Just like tool
for managing databases and hosts. But I am not sure if debconf was created
for such solutions.

3. Make some hack (how?) to avoid asking user twice even when question was reset?
    Which simply means "do not use config when You are trying to use postinst".

Piotras