UTF-8 and changelog

Hello all,

Just a quick question about encoding changelog in utf-8.  My normal
locale is iso-8859-1 (en_US or so, I guess), and `file changelog`
returns 'ASCII text'.  I tried
`iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t utf8 changelog -o changelog.new`, but then
`file changelog.new` returns 'ASCII text' again, and diff shows no
difference.  Do I need to be doing this each time, or can I leave it be?

As you can probably tell, I am not that familiar with the issues around
utf-8, but my impression was that it is a superset of ASCII, so if I
only use ASCII characters, it should be fine.  I checked with the line
from developers-reference (footnote 76, IIRC) and got an exit code of 0,
but since I am not sure about this kind of thing, I thought I had better
ask.

TIA,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |