Re: Control fields for libraries and programs depending on them

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:06:38PM -0400, Neil Roeth wrote:

> Suppose there is a package foobar that depends on a library libfoo.  AIUI,
> whenever the SONAME changes, the library name should change, so I expect
> this to evolve as libfoo1, libfoo2, etc.  What are the proper control
> fields (Depends, Conflicts, Replaces, Provides) for these packages?  If I
> understand correctly, the idea of having different package names for
> libfoo when the SONAME changes is so that libfoo1 and libfoo2 can coexist.
> So, does that mean they should not conflict, and that there should be no
> Replaces or Provides fields in the libfoo2 refering to libfoo1?

Yes.  You can find many examples in the packages in the archive.

> I am particularly interested in the case where foobar and libfoo1 are
> installed, and a new version of foobar is released that depends upon
> libfoo2.  Should upgrading foobar cause libfoo2 to be installed, but also
> leave libfoo1 installed, since some other package might depend upon it?

Upgrading foobar will require that libfoo2 be installed; it should not have
any direct effect on libfoo1 (though aptitude, for example, will
automatically remove libfoo1 if it only existed to satisfy foobar's
dependency).

--
 - mdz