Re: Build non-free ncompress

> > Because I still use it[...]
>
> I have to ask...why? :-)

Well, I think you're poking fun at me, but I'm going to pretend that I
didn't notice and give you an answer anyway. :)

The main reason I took it is that my Cedar Backup package (not
officially in Debian) supports tar.Z backups and hence Suggests
ncompress.  It seemed contradictory for me to suggest ncompress but not
be willing to maintain it.

Besides that, though, I have two reasons to want ncompress: first, it
seems to be somewhat faster than gzip on large files (100MB+).  Second,
I don't think that gzip will generate portable .Z files, even though it
will read them.  Sometimes (though less and less frequently) I need that
for compatibility with non-Debian systems.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>