Re: cooperative upstream?

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Chris Jantzen wrote:

> What do we do when upstream is more than willing to package the
> ./debian/ directory officially? It seems this would create a sticky
> relationship when the DD wants to make additional changes that diverge
> from the current source? Are there packages that do this already? How do
> they handle it?

The general maintainer's credo is that you take pristine upstream source[1],
then make whatever changes are necessary to provide the best package
possible.

If upstream source hsa a debian directory, then you can take it as written
(if all is OK) or make whatever changes are necessary to both the files in
/debian/ (including adding more if necessary) and other files, and keep
building Debian packages.

If upstream decides to take your changes on board, then the next upstream
release will have less and less for you to do.  Woohoo!

Practical problems will include file clashes, philosophical differences, et
al.  But nothing exactly mind-boggling, or fundamentally different from what
is done already.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16