Re: libexecdir - helper scripts

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 06:54:45PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> moseley@hank.org writes:

> >   libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/lib/${PACKAGE}'
>
> That's evil.  The whole point of configure is to have install
> locations standardised, and changing the defaults is never, ever, a
> good idea.

The problem was the standard was ${exec_prefix}/libexec.  Since I run debian and I don't
have /usr/libexec (or /usr/local/libexec) it just wasn't standard in my world ;).
My reading for FHS 4.7.1 seemed like /usr/lib is what I wanted.

I also remember searching google about libexecdir and finding mostly heated discussion
about libexecdir.  In the end I was just more comfortable with the Debian location.

I discussed this on the autoconf list and it was suggested we do in cofigure.in:

  AC_MSG_NOTICE([Setting libexecdir to \${exec_prefix}/lib/${PACKAGE}])

but again, that only happens if --libexecdir is *not* passed to configure.

Is there plan in Debian to use the "standard" /usr/libexec in the future?

> In debian/rules, just use ./configure --libexecdir=\$\{prefix\}/lib to
> redefine it.

Can it be a dir within that?

   --libexecdir=\$\{prefix\}/lib/swish-e

I'd rather not clutter /usr/lib.

Is there a reason why it can't be hard-coded in debian/rules?

   ./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/swish-e

Thanks very much for the help,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org