Re: Lintian shows up several errors

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 08:35:20PM +0200, Samuel Abels wrote:
> I've build a debian package and dpkg-buildpackage works fine.
> The program's "debian" directory can be found
> here:
> http://sv.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gpostman/gpostman/debian/
>
> Anyway, Lintian shows up several problems.
>
> (1) E: gpostman: FSSTND-dir-in-usr usr/doc/
>
> I know that the documentation shouldn't be in /usr/doc but in
> /usr/share/doc instead.
> I don't want to change the configure.in and automake scripts, so I was
> wondering if there is a debhelper to move all the documentation into it's
> proper locations.

Erm, there's always mv(1): you don't need to use debhelper to do
everything. All debian/rules is really doing is building up a filesystem
tree, and you can use standard shell utilities to manipulate that.

Can't you pass the --docdir parameter to configure, though?

> Or is there a better way to do this?
> Will I have to create a postinst script?

No, not for this at any rate.

> (2) W: gpostman: extra-license-file usr/doc/gpostman/COPYING.gz
>
> I have no idea. I have only one file in my package directory, which must
> remain there for source (tarball) distributions.
> Is there a way to tell dpkg to just skip this file or something?

Just remove it from the filesystem tree using rm.

> (3) E: gpostman: changelog-file-not-compressed ChangeLog
>
> The problem is, if I "gzip -9" the change-log, dpkg-buildpackage will quit
> with an error, so I just don't know how to do it.

You need to 'gzip -9' it in debian/rules. (In this case, dh_compress
will work too if it's installed in /usr/share/doc rather than /usr/doc.)

Debian policy also requires that upstream changelogs be
/usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.gz, rather than ChangeLog.gz (or at
least be a symlink to the latter).

Cheers,