Re: Correct version numbering for pre-Versions?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:25:48PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> I have a question regarding the correct version numbering when upstream
> versions like 1.2-pre3 come into play, meaning the third pre-release
> version of the to-be version 1.2
[...]
> Should I just drop upstream versions for the packages of development
> versions, and use "0.`date -$right_format`"? Or what else?

Mangle the version in a way that shows the real version, e.g.
"1.1-1.2-pre3":
ametzler@balrog:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.1-1.2-pre3-1 le 1.2-1 && echo yes
yes
ametzler@balrog:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.1-28 le 1.1-1.2-pre3-1  && echo yes
yes

"grep-available -FVersion pre" will show other examples.
              cu andreas