Replacing a package with a newer, renamed version of itself.

I'm currently playing with FreeRadius, which was in unstable
as radiusd-freeradius but was removed due to a grave bug
against it, which was only supposed to keep it out of testing.
It never appeared in a stable Debian release, so the archive
has forgotten all about it.

The upstream CVS and tarballs include a Debian directory,
which I'm working on (initially for my own use, but now I'm
trying to make it as policy-friendly as possible) to make it
ready for re-entry into the archive.

Amongst the changes I'm making are these:

* Renaming "radiusd-freeradius" to "freeradius" because the
name's ugly (IMHO, and upstream agrees) and the package does
include a couple of bits such as a radius client and dictionaries
and such. (Which could be split into three packages, but I'd
rather leave that alone right now... The client stuff isn't
so big that it's really worth it. There's already split
packages for the database- and ldap- modules to keep dependancies
sane)

* Changing the directory the configuration files are stored
in from /etc/raddb to /etc/freeradius

Now, to deal with these two changes, I'm expecting to have
to do the following:
Put a note in README.Debian about the moved config files.
Conflicts: and Replaces: radiusd-freeradius

I guess they're not _technically_ required since the old
version's no longer in the archive, but I think it'd be
good in case anyone _is_ sitting on the old version, or
built their own .deb from CVS (which could be done with
small patches, but which made lintian complain like crazy)

Am I working for the forces of good or evil here?

I'm not at this point looking for a sponsor for this because
I expect the upstream Debian guy to work with it, since he
was the former maintainer. I'm just working on it because he's
either busy or disinterested, and hasn't responded to my
emails. Of course, if we do get this in good shape, and the
regular developer still hasn't come in on this, I might wander
back and seek to make the package mine. It's not yet ready though
so it's not yet a relevant question.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.