Re: NM's to fix bugs? (Was: Asking for an advocate (gURLChecker))

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 11:36:15AM +0300, Jarno Elonen wrote:
> > unless they can give some demonstration that they're into more than just
> > making packages.  Fixing bugs, for instance.
>
> This advice is quite usual on this list. I think there are a few reasons why
> it's not as common thing for non-DDs to do as it maybe could be:
>
>  + There are so many packages and so many bugs that it's really hard to
>    say where to start.

this is an upstream bug I wont fix anytime soon, so here is something
to start with:
http://bugs.debian.org/71419
webcheck: Could it be internationalized?

I will send more concrete (and quite easy) examples to this list,
so readers can pick one they like. Just send your patches to the
bug tracking system.

>  + The bug tracking system is a less clear and more difficult to use
>    than in many other open projects.

I know, the only interface being email sucks. But I am used to it
and won't change it myself.

>    I've been playing around with an idea of making a nice local
>    frontend for BTS by adding a procmail filter that would intercept
>    incoming mail. But: I'm not sure which one would be wiser, making
>    such layers on top of current system or taking bugzilla or something
>    and customizing it for Debian.

>  + You often get cranky response for suggesting fixes.
>
>    The classics are "RTF-doc-behind-the-door-with-beware-of-the-leopard-sign",
>    "do you really think we haven't considered this already?" and the synthesis
>    of those two, the "this was already discussed a month an a half ago in
>    #importantstuffnotforusers-italian". No good suggestions here - I'm afraid
>    it's human nature to be annoyed by ignorance. :-/
>    However: an NM is a *New* M - please remember to cut us some slack..

Well, I think the above suggestions will give you a start and I hope
my answers are not cranky :)

Cheers,
  Bastian

- --

F: Was ist schwarz-weiss gestreift und kommt nicht vom Fleck?
A: Ein Klebra!