Re: NM's to fix bugs? (Was: Asking for an advocate (gURLChecker))

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Jarno Elonen wrote:

> > unless they can give some demonstration that they're into more than just
> > making packages.  Fixing bugs, for instance.
>
> This advice is quite usual on this list. I think there are a few reasons why
> it's not as common thing for non-DDs to do as it maybe could be:
>
>  + There are so many packages and so many bugs that it's really hard to
>    say where to start.

Pointing someone at a package they're not interested in won't work, either,
though.  Dunno what the solution is, but surely every prospective DD can
find enough packages they use on a regular basis and find bugs in them?

>  + The bug tracking system is a less clear and more difficult to use
>    than in many other open projects.

And, as a result, it's even *more* important that NMs work with it heaps.
It's not as though, in two weeks time, we're going to be switching.  Like it
or not, I think debbugs is with us forever.

>  + You often get cranky response for suggesting fixes.

I've had that plenty of times.  Mostly it's me screwing up.  Keh.  You're
not going to learn much hiding in a corner.  If a maintainer wants to be
cranky about their packages, go and find one who wants the help.  And don't
be so thin-skinned (not directed at you, just in the populace in general).

>    those two, the "this was already discussed a month an a half ago in
>    #importantstuffnotforusers-italian". No good suggestions here - I'm afraid

I try and keep my bugs on task by reporting back my findings when I go off
and find out stuff about a bug - keeps anyone interested in the loop (not
like there's anyone interested in my bugs, but the principle holds).

- Matt