search/get bug database, rc bugs excuses, closing bugs

Hi,
Where might I get a copy of the bug database? Is there any way to search
the bug database by text? I filed a bug (#187064 [1]) against
bugs.debian.org, but I want to know if there may be some kind of work
around. Please note that "good" search engines cannot be used due to the
robots.txt file on bugs.debian.org.

I also noticed that several of the scripts on qa.debian.org that list the
number of bugs for various packages do so incorrectly. They don't list
merged bugs as one bug. This may cause problems with various metrics, but
more importantly does the update excuses script count merged bugs as one?

Is there any policy on when to close a bug besides the Developer's
reference section 5.8.3 [2] section 6 which says "Once a corrected package
is available in the unstable distribution, you can close the bug"? I think
that release worthy (X.XrX+1) bugs should remain open until all the Debian
distributions have the bug fixed. I think the distribution tags were
created to encourage bugs remaining in specific distributions to remain
open.

The security team tracks security bugs, but there are other critical bugs
that could be fixed in unstable but not allowed into testing before
release. There is also the problem of packages getting rejected from
proposed-updates. There is also a further problem of packages not being
created to fix release worthy bugs in older distributions (like potato)
which are still "supported". In all these cases it seems like policy
prefers for the bugs, that these packages fix, to be closed. Has this
issue been brought up before?

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-bug-housekeeping

     Drew Daniels