debian/rules assumptions for kernel modules?

Is there a document somewhere that describes
the assumptions I can make in a debian/rules
file?  For instance, as part of my work to
be a DD, I'm working on a package that makes
a kernel module.  At some point, buildd (I
think that's the name of the daemon) will
probably invoke make-kpkg to build kernel
module packages from my package that will
provide the modules for the various kernel-image
packages available.  So, can I, in the rules
file, assume that /usr/src/linux exists?  Can
I assume that there's a .config already made?

It's easy enough to put checks in the rules
so that the build fails if these things are
not present; that'll be done.  But, I just
haven't been able to find anything that tells
me what sort of build environment I can rely
on.  Have I just not looked in the right place?

TIA.

--
Ciao,
al