Re: Shared library

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:25:09AM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:

>      Section 11.2 of Debian Policy says:
>
>    You must specify the gcc option `-D_REENTRANT' when building a library
>    (either static or shared) to make the library compatible with
>    LinuxThreads.
>
>      Is this obsolete?  I can't find `-D_REENTRANT' in the gcc
> documentation.

That's because it has nothing in particular to do with gcc.  It's in the
glibc documentation:

 - Macro: _REENTRANT
 - Macro: _THREAD_SAFE
     If you define one of these macros, reentrant versions of several
     functions get declared.  Some of the functions are specified in
     POSIX.1c but many others are only available on a few other systems
     or are unique to GNU libc.  The problem is the delay in the
     standardization of the thread safe C library interface.

     Unlike on some other systems, no special version of the C library
     must be used for linking.  There is only one version but while
     compiling this it must have been specified to compile as thread
     safe.

--
 - mdz