How to request a new package and to maintain orphaned package?

Hello:

The snes9express package is already considered ophaned for about a year already, and I intend to maintain a package for it. I already have a new version of the said package (1.39beta --sid's version is at 1.26) at http://csdev.cas.upm.edu.ph/~pfalcone/debian (along with other packages I have, like the Enhanced Playstation emulator for Linux, and VisualBoy Advance-SDL - a Gameboy Advance emulator for Linux)

1. What do I need to do to give my intention to package the said orphaned package? to make a request to package a new software that isn't yet on the request list?
2. I'd like to request for someone to sponsor these said packages :-)

I'm still perusing the documentation at the Debian developer site, so please bear with my newbie-ness on the Debian developer/maintainer process.

DEBIAN ROCKS!
--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph