Re: How to obtain current package version number?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:30:07 -0500, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:41:58PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Does a maintainer script know the package version, so that it can
>> write the version number to a file?
>
>Why is it that you need to know this in a maintainer script?  You know the
>version of the package at build time.

|	by torres.ka0.zugschlus.de with esmtp (Exim 4.12 #1 (Debian) [+prerelease])
|	id 18qOgM-00057P-00
|	for <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de>; Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:30:58 +0100

I would like to have the Received: header and SMTP banner show the
exact Debian version number the host is running. If I hardcode the
version number, I am prone to forget changing the number there when I
release a new version. So it has to be automatic, but I can of course
generate a file containing the version number in my debian/rules and
put it in to /usr/share. Which is most probably what I will do.

Greetings
Marc