Re: New Maintainer ou New Developer

http://nm.debian.org

> I read in debian page that the only way to became maintainer is developing
> some nice program, but I have two friends that are only who make the .deb
> package.

Ehh... I couldn't understand that sentence :(  If you mean "does one have to
be an upstream developer to join Debian", then the answer is "no".  But a
lot of us (including me) expect you are at least skilled and responsible
enough to be an upstream maintainer for your packages, if you are going to
take care of packages... (there are other activities in Debian that have
little to do with maintaining packages).

The procedure is something like this: if you think you're going to stay
around for a while, and you have the time, and will to do a lot of work, you
are welcome to join. You do that by reading the stuff in nm.debian.org, and
showing a lot of work.  Then, someone will vouch for you, and you will get
started in the NM process (again, see nm.debian.org).

If you don't have the time, that's fine. There are lots of ways you can help
without sacrificing a lot of time too, but then you should not expend any of
that precious time going through the effort of nm.debian.org! Use it to do
the work proper, and use the mailinglists to coordinate with someone if you
happen to need anything that requires a registered Debian developer.

> The situation is: I don't have a nice package develped by me, but I would
> like to maintain some package from someone who don't have interest or time
> to maintain it on debian. How can I find a package to maintain or how can
> I submit a package (not mine) ?

Well, find and read the developers' reference. Also, go read the stuff on
the debian-br site, and the stuff on www.debian.org/devel.  All your answers
are there. Don't forget nm.debian.org, either.

  Henrique Holschuh