Re: Unofficial package tips

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Bastian Kleineidam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here are some of my tips when packaging unofficial software as .debs.
> Perhaps its useful for someone :)

[SNIP]

> If there is already an official package eg with version "1.1-4", then
> use "1.1-4.1", "1.1-4.2", ...

this reflects the same scheme as the NMU and you should be carefull using
it. What we do for debian-ipv6 is something like x.y-z.ipv6.rN where N is
the "internal" version. The problem might occour if in debian there is
x.y-z and in an external archive x.y-z.1 and suddenly in debian it will
enter x.y-z.1 because of a real NMU.
There was someone having problems related to the same version of the
software presents in 2 different archives and apt-get was always
downloading one of them.. can't remember exactly the details sorry, but
i am farly sure that there is an open bug about it.

I would also add something about dependencies. Be sure to build always
againt the main debian archive and in the worst case with pkgs that are in
your external archive of which you have control of. This should atleast
ensure a lower risk of "fried" systems. Do not rely on thirdy part
archives even for the smallest piece of software.

- From my small experience out of maintaing debian-ipv6 i would also suggest
to write a script that checks daily what is in debian and what is in your
archive. Specially if your archive propose updates against official debian
pkgs. It will help keeping track of the situation and somehow give you a
direction for your work as external maintainer.

BTW never forget that external archive can be as dangerous as usefull.
Warn ALWAYS the user that is not an official repository and don't use it
only for your own "glory".. help the official maintainer with what it will
come out of its usage.

Regards
Fabio

PS I just realized i wrote "you" everywhere but it refers moslty to people
that want to build their archive :-))))

- --
drac (1.11-7) unstable; urgency=low
  * added IPv6 patch from the great IPv6 Team

 -- Noel Koethe <noel@debian.org>  Sun,  9 Feb 2003 19:33:00 +0100