Re: plugger

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 05:45:18PM +0100, Bastian Kleineidam wrote:
> Can you install every Mozilla plugin automatically and without changes
> in Phoenix? I am not sure that this is the case, especially on those
> with additional interface files (googlebar?).

Is the googlebar a plugin in the strict sense? From my limited
knowledge of the way Netscape/Mozilla internals work, I was under
the impression that a plugin is there specifically to handle
different filetypes (eg, multimedia, VRML, streaming, etc).

Things like the Googlebar and other interface addons aren't plugins
as such, rather employ Mozilla's XUL interfaces which, fair enough,
may not work on other Mozilla-based browsers.

> I have nothing against a shared /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory,
> but I think there is not much sense in if the plugins are not
> always compatible.

A glance of Mozilla's plugin page[1] gives me the impression that
developers have gone to great lengths to ensure that plugins don't
depend on too much outside of Gecko - links like "How to ensure that
your plugin is always detected by Mozilla-based browsers that get
installed after your plugin" (though it does not seem to address the
problem under Linux).

It would be a big shame if new browsers broke compatibility with
Mozilla plugins. Konqueror tried really hard to be compatible!
That said, I still wouldn't be surprised if the occasional glitch
came up when sharing plugins :)

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/

 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham dot com dot au