Re: Upstream debian/ dir.

This one time, at band camp, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
>I'm the Debian maintainer for pksd, an OpenPGP keyserver. I've been
>asked by upstream if I want to maintain the debian/ directory in the
>project's CVS. The RPM .spec file is already done this way. Is there any
>good reason not to do this? It will make things a lot easier for people
>pulling running CVS builds. The only drawback I can see is changes in
>the packaging between releases leads to a whole new src tarball to
>upload to the archive rather than just a new diff, but hopefully this
>shouldn't happen too often.

Keeping debian/ in upstream CVS *only* is fine, like you say it'll make life
easier for people packaging CVS pulls.  Just make sure that debian/ *isn't*
distributed in the released tarballs, otherwise it's going to make
maintaining the official Debian package painful.

If the source is autothingy'd, then just leaving debian/ out of the top
level Makefile.am's SUBDIRS is sufficient.

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq