Re: Upstream debian/ dir.

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 23:15:23 +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:

> > I'm the Debian maintainer for pksd, an OpenPGP keyserver. I've been
> > asked by upstream if I want to maintain the debian/ directory in the
> > project's CVS. The RPM .spec file is already done this way. Is there any
> > good reason not to do this?
>
> I see very few problems with this, if you do it The Right Way[1].
>
> > It will make things a lot easier for people
> > pulling running CVS builds. The only drawback I can see is changes in
> > the packaging between releases leads to a whole new src tarball to
> > upload to the archive rather than just a new diff, but hopefully this
> > shouldn't happen too often.
>
> That shouldn't be necessary, since you could just run a cvs up on the
> debian/ dir alone.
>
> [1] The Right Way, IMHO, is using tags and branches.  For each upstream
>     release, you could have a debian branch, containing only changes to
>     the debian/ dir.

I like this idea. Just a few questions for clarification: The Debian
diff of an upstream release would then be empty, because the debian/
directory is contained in the upstream tarball, right? The diff of a
following Debian revision would be non-empty and includes patches for
the debian/ directory too.

Debian changes to the upstream sources should be avoided in an
upstream release. If present, they have to be applied by debian/rules
(because the diff is empty) and have to be un-applied in the clean
target if present (otherwise the diff would become non-empty on the
next build), right?

Thanks for comments!

Kind regards,

Martin