Re: Lintain changelog-file-not-compressed error: how can I fix this?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 19:37, David Grant wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting this Lintain error for my package called "gav":

E: gav: changelog-file-not-compressed CHANGELOG

CHANGELOG is the upstream changelog for the source package and it is in
the package source root directory.  I have it listed in my debian/docs
file along with the upstream README file.  It says I can compress it
using 'gzip -9'.  I tried this, and modified the debian/docs file...but
then I get some error while creating the package:

dpkg-source: cannot represent change to CHANGELOG.gz: binary file
contents changed
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file CHANGELOG
dpkg-source: building gav in gav_0.7.1-1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

You are supposed to gzip the Changelog during the install. Copy it to /usr/share/doc/package/CHANGELOG and then gzip it. You are not supposed to change the upstream tarball unless absolutely necessary.

Hmm, I seem to like the solution provided by Ken better, which was to use

dh_installchangelogs CHANGELOG

I just tested this, and it works perfectly.  changelog.gz and changelog.Debian.gz are installed to /usr/share/doc/package/ directory nicely...

This does not involve changing the upstream tarball.

Cheers,

--

David J. Grant
M.A.Sc. Candidate