Re: Why are libraries considered bad victims for first packages?

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:00:30AM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> I am interested in getting some of my code available as Debian packages,
> but the web pages I have been reading imply that it is a bad thing to
> attempt a library as a first package. Unfortunately most of my code
> depends on libraries which I have also written.
>
> Why are libraries considered hard to package? Are the problems
> insurmountable for a newbiew?

The main reason is that when packaging libraries it's very easy to make
mistakes that screw things up for other packages, particularly if you
affect binary compatibility by mistake. Dealing with versioning of the
same package is also problematic, particularly if the upstream author
hasn't been careful.

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
goes into many of the issues involved.

Cheers,