Re: debmake and dh-make

Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> as I can see, this is a recurrent question (I've made the same question
> a year ago). I have a proposal:
>
> As debmake and dh-make are the two mostly used helper scripts, I propose
> the creation of a document to be available at
> http://www.debian.org/devel explaining about this two scripts.
>
> It would be nice if the maintainers of the packages create that text.
>
> Comments??

Yes -- why? debstd (debmake) is only used by packages with MIA
maintainers[1]. No new packages are being created using debstd, and
none have been for years.

If you're really concerned about debstd, you could probably reduce the
number of packages that use it from the current 165 to about 20, by
orphaning the other 145 or so packages and QAing them to use some more
modern techniques, or getting them removed since they're crufty and
unmaintained.

While this is already happening on its own at a pretty linear rate, it
looks like it will take roughly 3 to 5 years for this process to happen
randomly on its own if nobody bothers to work on it specifically.

Anyway, the developer's reference already has a discussion of debhelper,
debstd, yada, et al.

--
see shy jo

[1] Or utter freaking weirdoes, but most of those have moved on to
    hand-rolled debian/rules files written in shoop, or haskell, or
    something like that.