Re: Producing a None-Hardware specific .deb

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:06:10AM +0000, Ian Wilkinson wrote:
> I am currently the developer of a cgi application (BlueLava, if anyone's
> interested :-)).  I've read as much as I can find about making .debs but
> I can find nothing about producing a none-architecture specific .deb.
>
> As it's entirly written in Perl, how do I make a .deb.
> The howto's don't seem to cover this.

The easiest way is to find an example. Egotistically, let me point you
at info2man for a drop-dead-simple perl package that installs both a
program and some modules.

The reason that introductory documentation tends not to talk much about
architecture-independent packages is that they're like
architecture-dependent packages without most of the work. You generally
just leave out most of the build target in debian/rules and set
"Architecture: all" in debian/control. The binary-indep target in
debian/rules can then just copy everything into the right place under
debian/$package.

Cheers,