Re: Install a file over the default

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 15:52, David Frey wrote:
> I am packaging a window manager and I want to replace one of the default
> config files with my own.  My idea was to just call install from the
> postinst script, but I'm not sure exactly how I should do it.
>
> Am I taking the right approach here?
>
> I want to install  ./app-version/debian/data/menu to /etc/X11/app/menu

a window manager's menu should be autogenerated by using the tools provided in
the menu package.  This way adding/removing/changing packages automatically
updates the user's menu.

In general if you are replacing an upstream file with your own you should do
it at package creation time, not install time.