Re: How to be a great Debian Developer

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:55, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> still left, but you should well know that a volunteer project needs to
> distribute the dull jobs amongst those that are working for the main cause.

That is a fair point.  However you may have noticed that there are
difficulties in becoming a new Debian developer.  Doing some of the dull jobs
may make that easier for you.

> In addition, "helping out maintainers" is something that strongly depends
> on the willingness of maintainers to accept help. In my experience, the
> quality of the packages is strongly correlated (maybe even causal, not
> coincidental) to the willingness of maintainers to accept help and user
> comments and their friendlyness to answer questions.

That is true to a certain extent.  However there are some packages that are so
difficult to maintain that even with a lot of help and a lot of hard work
there will still be plenty of bugs left to fix.  Glibc and X spring to mind.

> Again, please don't take offence, I don't mind your answer in itself, I
> just want to point out some issues with the impression that potential
> volunteers get when considering to apply for debian membership.

To a large extent the Debian developers don't have direct control over this
anyway.  Search the archives and you'll find plenty of flame-wars on this
topic.