Re: Package Versioning question

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:50:44PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Kenneth Pronovici said:
> > > I have a question about how to proceed.  I am considering packaging a
> > > program, and it uses a nonstandard versioning scheme.  It ends up
> > > looking like <package>-DR7.10.  dh_make doesn't parse this - this in
> > > itself trivial to work around, but it made me stop and wonder if this
> > > is because the versioning scheme is something that shouldn't be used, or
> > > if it was because of a shortcoming in dh_make.  I tend to think the
> > > latter, and think that a bug should be filed, but I'm asking because I
> > > wanted to make sure I didn't just miss something here.

> > You might want to check policy before filing a bug:

> >    The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics[13] and the
> >    characters . + - : (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon) and should start
> >    with a digit.

> > The key being, "start with a digit", which of course yours doesn't.

> This is exactly why I asked - the real key word here is 'should'.  It's
> not a must, but on the other hand, it's not unreasonable, either.  I've
> written to upstream to begin talking with them about this and other
> issues, and who knows, maybe they'll want to go to a reasonable version
> number :-).  I guess filing a bug is out, and manual hackery is in.

I've only ever used the versioning scheme 'DRx' used to refer to
"development releases".  What will you do once they're out of
development and move to (in theory) real version numbers?

$ dpkg --compare-versions DR7.10 lt 1.0 || echo "oops."
oops.
$

You could use an epoch, but epochs are worth avoiding if possible.  I
would recommend using something like '0.1+DR7.10' in place of 'DR7.10',
preferably after discussing with upstream to see what version numbers
they'd start with when they got to that point.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer