Re: Priorities

This one time, at band camp, martin f krafft said:
> Can you please shine some light on section 2.2 of the Policy?
> I understand required and important, but the phrasing of optional and
> extra are a little cumbersome. I think my packages may not all have
> the right priorities and before I go and fix them, I need to
> understand...
>
> Aren't almost all addon packages (= those that I am packaging, nothing
> important) optional? When is a package priority extra?
>
> Thanks,

I think extra is for packages that don't always play nicely with others
- if your package conflicts with an important or required package, it
gets priority extra.  Same if it has specialized hardware requirements,
although this seems more subjective to me (most newer boxen have CD-Rs,
which used to be 'specialized', PCMCIA is standard in a laptop but rare in
a desktop, etc etc.)

If you have a 'standard' package, that doesn't conflict with any of the
important or required packages, I think it would be safe to give it a
priority: optional.

|  Stephen Gran                  | * woot smiles serenely. <woot> I don't  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | want to seem over eager about getting   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | into knghtbrd's        siglist.         |