Re: library version equals to project version ?

Eric Van Buggenhaut <ericvb@debian.org> immo vero scripsit:

> On one hand I have the example of avifile-player version 0.7.12.20020719-1.2,
> which depends on libavifile0 version 0.7. OTOH, we have aspell version 0.33.7.1
> which depends on libaspell10 version 0.33.7

The interface number of a shared library should usually be distinct
from the version number of the package itself, since
interface usually does not correspond to package versions.

Interface do change with minor version upgrades, in which
case interface number should be updated, and
even with major version upgrades, interface compatibility can
be kept, which means interface number does not need to change.

avifile-player probably ignores that part, or changes
the library version number on every release, or whatever.

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4