Re: HELP!!! New Maint App Process

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:19:43PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:38:41PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > > 1. how does one get an advocate?
>
> > The best way is to package a piece of software, and make the packages
> > available somewhere. Apply to be a NM, and post a message to
> > debian-mentors@lists.debian.org asking for a sponsor. A sponsor will
> > take a look at your package and (assuming all goes well) upload them.
> > If they are sufficiently impressed, they will likely be your advocate.
>
> This places the emphasis on packaging software that's not yet in Debian,
> which is wrong, IMHO.  A better answer is that you get an advocate by
> getting involved in Debian development -- by helping tackle some of the
> many open bugs against existing packages, or doing QA work, or adopting
> an orphaned package, or working on the installer, or perhaps by
> packaging useful software that's not yet part of Debian.

I didn't mean to imply that this package should be new; that's not the
case at all. However, if they are adopting an orphaned package they
still need to follow the same steps, i.e. make a package available for
someone considering sponsoring them. QA work, tackling bugs, etc is
important, but generally Task & Skills requires an NM to demonstrate
packaging ability.

I agree that involvement in the Debian community/Debian development is
important before becoming a NM, but I feel it's safe to assume that
one has been sufficiently involved in the community once they show a
desire to become a NM.

> Creating new packages is an easy way to demonstrate that one has many of
> the skills required to be a DD, but more is demanded of DDs than just
> raw skill.

demanded? All that we technically demand is that a candidate agrees
with our policies and procedures, and demonstrate packaging ability
(or other (raw) skills). And, of course, proof of ID.

I agree that this may not be the ideal situation, but that's the way
it is.

--
Duncan Findlay